QA Lab Technician
Website Smithfield Foods
Sioux Falls, SD
Supports needs of Quality Assurance department while interfacing with production and receiving/shipping departments to ensure that products are safe, wholesome and meet quality standards.
- Collect and file production paperwork for QA department auditing purposes
- Sample finished products to assure compliance with customer specifications
- Sample inbound raw materials in a statistically significant manner.
- Conduct metal detector verification checks on production lines
- Calibration of thermometers
- Record temperatures of outbound loads
- Gather composite samples when necessary
- Prepare samples for shipments to customers
- Manage sample submission to outside labs
- Cross train w/ lab personnel to perform lab testing duties when required
- Performs self quality audits within the plant
- Supports IMS/Scan4Ship labeling/hold/lot/BOL standards and processes
- Other projects as needed by area supervisor and/or manager.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- 1+ years of quality and/or lab experience in the food industry is preferred.
- Must have the ability to complete required applicable forms in English, which requires the ability to read and write in English.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
- Exposure to wet conditions
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, grasp with both hands, or feel; substantial movements (motion) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers; reaching and pulling with hands and arms.
- Prolonged standing or sitting – Occasional walking is required for short distances.
- Ability to consistently move/drag/lift up to 60 lbs frozen raw materials on a regular basis.
- Ability to consistently move/drag 100-150 plastic totes.
- Frequent stretching out of arms, and use of upper body.
- Occasional turning and twisting at the waist.
- Continuous exposure to temperatures ranging from 10F – 85F degrees.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits .
PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT Working at Smithfield isn’t just a job – it’s the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
BENEFITS Our people matter. That’s why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly ® ” and serve as one of the world’s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield ® , Eckrich ® and Nathan’s Famous ® , among many others. For more information, visit http://www.smithfieldfoods.com , and connect with us on Facebook , Twitter , LinkedIn and Instagram .
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.
To apply for this job please visit careers-smithfield.icims.com.