Chemical Dependency Counselor ($2,000 hiring incentive)
Website South Dakota State Government
South Dakota State Government
Sioux Falls, SD
*** $2,000 Hiring Incentive***
Job ID: 18449
Agency: Department of Social Services, Correctional Behavioral Health, SD State Penitentiary
Location: Sioux Falls
Salary: $20.61 per hour, depending on licensure
Pay Grade: GH
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the Department of Social Services. For more information on the Department of Social Services, please visit https://dss.sd.gov/behavioralhealth/correctional/ .
Why the Department of Social Services?
At the Department of Social Services (DSS), we have an opportunity to make a difference. It’s the foundation of what we do every day through provision of services to strengthen and support the citizens of South Dakota. We believe in assisting individuals in living healthy and fulfilling lives. We also believe in respecting individual and cultural differences by treating people with dignity, fairness, and respect. And, we believe in collaborative communications, teamwork, partnerships and trust for the delivery of behavioral health services. Sound intriguing?
As a Department of Social Services employee, you will have a chance to experience:
- Creativity – We are always looking for innovative ideas to help us achieve improved outcomes.
- Making a difference – You will have an opportunity to make a difference in the life of fellow South Dakotans.
- Professional development – We provide valuable trainings to ensure well-trained staff that is competent, accountable and empowered and will assist you in reaching your career goals.
- Teamwork – In a team-oriented approach, you will have the ability to work cooperatively with others in a friendly work environment to achieve shared goals.
Who we want:
- a highly motivated and experienced person with a passion for serving the public and displays a high level of effort and commitment towards completing assignments and goals;
- a compassionate individual who listens attentively to others and clearly conveys information and ideas;
- a dependable and organized individual who effectively plans and organizes work activities;
- a person who is dedicated and who will represent the Department of Social Service with integrity and enthusiasm; and
- an individual who works cooperatively with others and promotes a friendly work climate in order to achieve shared goals.
What you will do:
Provide addiction counseling services to adult offenders at the State Penitentiary in Sioux Falls. Services include but are not limited to:
- screening and assessment of individuals for behavioral health concerns;
- group counseling for chemically dependent offenders;
- development of treatment plans to facilitate effective methods of creating behavior modification and a success plan for recovery;
- counselor may provide additional behavioral health groups as needed;
- assistance with release planning to determine substance use disorder services upon release from the correctional setting to facilitate continuity of care.
***The South Dakota State Penitentiary is a National Health Services Corps (NHSC) approved site which can provide opportunities for student loan reimbursement.
Licenses and Certifications:
A bachelor’s degree in alcohol and drug abuse studies, counseling, psychology or related field preferred.
A license in addiction counseling or application for recognition as an Addiction Counselor Trainee within 10 days of hire is required. Trainees must meet all requirements for certification per the South Dakota Board of Addiction and Prevention Professionals (BAPP) by the end of the recognition period. One required course, as outlined in the academic requirements by BAPP for certification as an addictions counselor, will be paid for by the Department of Social Services per semester following six months of employment. Additionally, work experience hours and supervised hours of practical training experience required by BAPP will be provided. Preference for candidates with current chemical dependency certification.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
Experience in the delivery of clinical services.
- social, behavioral, psychological, and physical effects of chemical dependency;
- individual, group, and family therapy techniques;
- community resources for the treatment and rehabilitation of chemically dependent clients;
- criminal thinking patterns and corrective thinking process;
- co-occurring disorders.
- effectively communicate and motivate treatment-resistant clients;
- effective time management;
- be organized.
- identify symptoms of alcohol and/or drug abuse;
- gather, interpret, report, and use information concerning clients;
- establish and maintain effective interpersonal counseling relationships with clients;
- formulate treatment plans and make recommendations on client care;
- perform treatment needs assessments and treatment planning;
- facilitate groups and prepare discharge summaries;
- work in a correctional facility;
- adhere to the security of such correctional facility.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment. Offers of employment are conditional upon successful completion of a drug screening.
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Job Service Office. A certificate is not necessary to be considered.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/ . This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: email@example.com
” An Equal Opportunity Employer”
To apply for this job please visit statesdgovt.hireclick.com.