Associate Industrial Engineer
Website Smithfield Foods
Sioux Falls, SD
The Associate Industrial Engineer supports process improvement efforts, projects and initiatives of the facility. This role aides in determining the most efficient ways to best utilize people, machines, materials, information, etc to provide process improvements. The Associate Industrial Engineer begins to provide individual contribution to problem-solving efforts on selected projects to optimize worker efficiency, yield improvement, waste reduction and workplace optimization along with accurate cost standards and procedures.Works and collaborates with Management to define, develop, and implement plant continuous improvement projects in all areas of plant operations.
- Utilize business analytics and industrial engineering tools to study functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine functions and responsibilities of workers and work units and to identify areas of duplication.
- Establishes work measurement programs and analyzes work samples to develop standards for labor utilization.
- Analyzes work force utilization, facility layout, and operational data such as production costs, process flow charts, and production schedules, to determine efficient utilization of workers and equipment.
- Reviews methods for improving worker efficiency and reducing waste of materials and utilities such as restructuring job duties, reorganization of workflow, relocating workstations and equipment, and purchase of equipment.
- Implements methods of improvement based on leading edge technologies and industrial engineering principles to improve operating performance and reduce waste, delays and costs.
- Monitors installation and ensures proposal specifications and budget are met.
- Maintains management systems for cost analysis, financial planning, wage and salary administration, and job evaluation.
- Ensures effective productivity and production measurements are established for identified processes in the plant. Monitors system and expands it as necessary.
- Analyzes, recommends, and implements enhancements to existing work methods, flows and processes to improve current capabilities.
- Communicates with management on all changes in work standards.
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for methods and processes.
- Manages multiple projects ensuring on-time completion according to schedule and within budget guidelines.
- Researches technology advancements and systems to develop cost effective improvements to operating methods and procedures.
- Coach, develop, and train plant employees on utilizing Smithfield’s Management Operating System, and how to utilize data to improve their plants and functional areas
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university; or currently enrolled college student with an anticipated graduation by end of current semester.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Knowledge and experience with the Microsoft Suite: including, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Strong planning, organization, and execution skills.
- Ability to use exposure monitoring, equipment, interpret and communicate results.
- Strong interpersonal and technical skills, required.
- Must be able to travel up to 25% of the time; may support multi-plant locations.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Vision abilities include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits .
PEOPLE MATTER More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT Working at Smithfield isn’t just a job – it’s the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
BENEFITS Our people matter. That’s why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
SUSTAINABILITY PLEDGE Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. With more than 60,000 jobs globally, we are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly ® ” and serve as one of the world’s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in our U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our communities. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield ® , Eckrich ® and Nathan’s Famous ® , among many others. For more information, visit http://www.smithfieldfoods.com , and connect with us on Facebook , Twitter , LinkedIn and Instagram .
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.
To apply for this job please visit careers-smithfield.icims.com.